500 grams skinless chicken (breasts or thighs)
2 medium to large carrots
3 medium sized potatoes
1 tablespoons flour (or use gluten free cornflour)
Extra flour or gluten free cornflour to thicken sauce
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
2 bay leaves
125ml dry sherry
1½ cups (375ml) water
400 gram can chickpeas (drained)
150 grams short cut bacon (trim off any excess fat)
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
1. Peel and chop potatoes and carrots into bite size pieces.
2. Trim any fat off chicken and cut into 2-3cm chunks, then dust with flour.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy based pan, add chicken and brown.
4. Add garlic, potatoes, carrots, paprika, bay leaves. Saute until lightly browned.
5. Add sherry and water. Bring to boil and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
6. Add chickpeas and cook another 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
If the sauce is too thin, add 1 tablespoon of cornflour to 1 tablespoon of water. Make a smooth paste and add to the stew while stirring to prevent lumps.
7. Slice bacon into one centimetre strips. Heat ½ to 1 tablespoon olive oil in non stick pan and pan fry until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper. The bacon adds some salt to the flavour, so avoid adding salt and allow individuals to add it at the table if they prefer.
Scatter bacon over stew at serving time and garnish with chopped parsley.
Delicious served with a green salad or some green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach or Chinese greens.
Nutritional comments: This is a delicious low fat meal. The chick peas add fibre and lower the GI.