1 cup red lentils
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups water
1 teaspoon of vegemite or Mighty Mite (gluten free)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley and/or thyme
Pinch of chilli flakes or cayenne if liked (optional)
120 grams grated cheddar cheese
1. Wash lentils and drain in colander.
2. Heat oil and add chopped onion. Saute until onion softens.
3. Add the lentils, vegemite or substitute, and chilli or cayenne and water.
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer approximately 15 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the consistency is like a very thick soup.
5. Add the grated cheese and chopped herbs, and the beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly.
6. Pour into a lined 20cm square cake tin.
7. Bake in a moderate oven approximately 25 minutes until firm and lightly browned.
Serve with salad or vegetables.
Smaller serves can be included in school lunches and it is a great after school or after work snack.